Saturday, October 4, 2025

Kittens

I think I mentioned earlier that our outdoor cat princess passed away this past spring.  She was a perfect cat.  She adopted all my neighbors and she took care of all the mice, rats, squirrels, and birds that dared to come in our yard.  We made it 3 months without an outdoor cat but with in a few weeks of princesses death rats started showing up.  I fought the rodents for several weeks.  I caught a couple but they seemed to be appearing faster than I could catch them.  I put a couple cameras in the chicken coup and each morning I would watch the rats get bigger and bigger.  They would look at my traps and just avoid them.  I gave in.  I told Ila, let's go to the humane society and look for the wildest cats we can find.  Two cats ended up choosing us before we could choose them.  I didn't want to get two black cats but they were the most energetic.  Ila hasn't ever had kittens so she loved this adventure.  
We named them Skipper and Mogli.  They are actually really good cats, very loving and have already started catching rats! 





One of the problems with cats is keeping their food away from Rebel.  I decided to build the cats a house where we could keep their food and where they could stay warm in the winter.  





Maybe I went a little over board on the cat house but it works great!  


 

3 comments:

  1. The cat house even has lights. I hope they appreciate this deluxe housing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anything you can't build or fix? That is amazing. Hope they help your rat and mouse problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely put my rabbit hutch to shame! Hahaha! Can my rabbits just live with your cats in your cat house?

    ReplyDelete