Tuesday, April 15, 2025

Pioneer History











Ila is currently attending a private school called American Heritage.  It is a very small school that meets in an old stake center behind the conference center in SLC.  Their curriculum is based off of LDS teachings and beliefs so even though they don’t claim to be an “LDS” school everything they teach leans on LDS beliefs.  It’s been a really great school for Ila.  I don’t think she will stay through graduation but it has been what she needed at this time in life.  
Every year her school has a week when they do “experiential learning.” They do activities that align with academics.  So there was an experiential learning group that studied space and astronomy.  They went down to Zions for an over nighter so they could map out the stars.  Another group focused on math skills.  They went to Ogden to the get flight activity.  Anyway the whole week is focused on these kind of activities.  
The group Ila signed up for was learning about the Pioneer history.  I was so excited she signed up for that group so I volunteered to help for the week.  It was so much fun and I learned so much.  (I think Ila learned a little too 😆)
Here are some of the activities we did:
We hiked to Ensign Peak- at the top we learned about Brigham Young’s revelation about this being the place for the saints to settle.
10:00 AM – Tour Church History Museum
12:00-1:00 PM – Lunch (bring your own)
1:00 PM – Presentation at the Church History Library on the First Vision
Tuesday, March 11
10:00 AM – Visit This Is the Place Heritage Park ($7 per person)
12:00-12:30 PM – Lunch (bring your own)
12:30 PM – Meet with Emily Marie Crumpton-Deason, expert on pioneer history, at
the Church History Library
Wednesday, March 12
10:00 AM – Visit Camp Floyd State Park Museum ($4 per person)
12:00-1:00 PM – Lunch (bring your own)
1:00 PM – Presentation on Book of Mormon Translation at the Church




After the hike we went to the Church History Museum.  We had a mini tour and then the kids were free to wander around and see everything.  
After eating lunch we went to the Church History Library to have a special lecture from a church historian about the first vision.  One of the things that was stressed during the lecture was that just because every account of the first vision wasn’t identical; it didn’t mean that it wasn’t true.  When Joseph Smith shared his experience with people he would share what was appropriate to share under the circumstances. 
We finished up that day with a tour through the conference center where the teacher (an adjunct BYU professor) taught the kids.  



Day 2 included a visit to This is the Place Monument where we had a 15 min lecture and then the kids wandered around and, of course, found the ice cream and donut stores.  
After returning to the school and eating lunch we went back to the church library for a lecture from a historian about the pioneers.  It was a fantastic lecture.  

Day 3 we set off for Camp Floyd.  I know I have been there with a youth activity but this was a full tour around the town.  Again I learned a ton! 
After returning to the school we went to the church library for a lecture on the translation of the Book of Mormon.  He showed us one of the seer stones! 





Day 4 we headed south.  We drove to Cove Fort.  I don’t remember ever going to cove fort so I learned a lot there.  I didn’t realize it was run by Pres Hinkleys Grandparents. 

We kept going south to visit the site of Mountain Meadow Massacre, unfortunately I didn’t get out at that stop because I had to help Avram with some college stuff during that stop. It was a blizzard when we were there so driving was a little stressful with a car full of kids. 
We went directly to Jacob Hamblins home.  I feel like I need to study more about him.  He did some amazing things. 
We went to the St. George tabernacle, wow! I didn’t know anything about that building. And to end the day we went to Pizza Pie Cafe for dinner.  




I was exhausted after that day but the kids had slept the whole time I was driving so they were ready to have some fun.  I shared a room with Ila and her friend.  Finally at 2 am I had to be a mean mom and say enough.  
We were packed up and out the door by 8 am the next morning.  We stopped at the St George temple and heard some cool stories and then went to the visitor center.  



Before leaving town we went to Brigham Young’s winter home in St George.  We did a tour there and saw the place where the temple covenants were written.  



The drive north was extremely difficult.  The kids fell asleep and I was so tired, had I been with my kids or alone I would have stopped, but we were on a time crunch to get back to the school before it was over.  
When I got home I went in laid down and fell asleep for about an hour and a half.  I got up, ate and went back to bed about 7:30 and slept the entire night.  

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a special experience. That would be a fun one to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing but exhausting trip/tour

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing experience for those kids! I was telling Pearl about it and she wishes she could go there too.

    ReplyDelete