The Vatican was something Adam and I always wanted to see. We decided to take a tour through the Vatican so that we could learn more, which I think was really good because I don't think we would have appreciated it had we not learned a lot of the history, customs and culture.
I can't imagine what it must be like at the Vatican right now with the Pope just passing away. It was busy enough for us and were weren't there during the busy time. It was probably a little busier than usual because this year is the year of the Jubilee.
The Jubilee is every 25 years. It is a spiritual journey, often to a holy site or shrine which is intended to deepen faith, connect with God and experience the history and tradition of the Church.
We saw many people walking down the streets in a row chanting (Im assuming a scripture or prayer). There are Holy Doors in several of the Basilica's that are only open the year of the Jubilee (so we got to walked through these sacred doors). We saw a group carrying small wooden crosses as part of their sacrifice in coming to know the Lord.
The Vatican was not what I expected. St Peters Basilica, was beautiful. The details and quality of work was magnificent. This is on our way out of the Sistine Chapel, I didn't know I wan't suppose to take a picture at this point. oops!
The Sistine chapel was not what I expected. The art work was beyond amazing but learning about Michelangelo and his attitude toward this project was shocking to me. Apparently he didn't want to paint the sistine chapel, he was forced to do it. Most of the ceiling was painted just standing on something. (I would have thought he would be laying down). I can't imagine how sore he must have been each night.
In some of Michaelangelos paintings I am amazed at some of the inspiring signs and symbols he added to the work but just as shocking were the things he added that were almost a mockery to the church.
In the painting below the man in purple that looks bored is Michelangelo painting himself.
This is a painting of Constantine, who claimed to have seen a Red Cross in the sky. He used this vision to motivate the soldiers and help them in their religious war. Constantine was never baptized a member of the Catholic faith.
The museum had priceless art work but I would think the Vatican museum would be something that represented the church and what they believe. I guess it does to a point but it also contains priceless artifacts, especially from the Roman time when they were Pagean. So there are many statues and pictures of the Roman Gods and their beliefs. This intermixed with the history of the Catholic Church was strange to me. It was also difficult to hear about so many Popes who did not live Holy Lives and abused the power they were given.
I never appreciated tapestries until the Vatican. The next three pictures are tapestries.
Overall this was an amazing experience.



























































It's pretty incredible that you guys just happened to be there during the jubilee! Your trip looked amazing. I feel so bad that you had to deal with the stomach bug on top of it. I am so sorry!
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful. The artwork, sculptures, and architecture from that time period is so amazing.
ReplyDeleteYou are lucky you are not there now.
ReplyDelete