Tuesday, January 14, 2025

Ministering

 Last year we were able to get out and participate in some fund raisers, sub for Santas, and the giving box.  This year we couldn't get to many of the traditional activities we had.  This year the Lord asked us for time.

We have a neighbor across the street.  Her name is Joanne.  She is single and not a member of the church.  I got a call one night, literally 2 mins after Ilas last friend left, and it was Joanne.  She struggled out the words, "Lisa, I need to go to the emergency room."  Adam and I jumped in the car and within seconds we were at her house helping her into the car.  She is a smoker and has COPD.  She either got an infection or the inversion affected her but she couldn't breathe.  We rushed to the emergency room and spent hours waiting for the doctors to get things under control so that she could take in some oxygen somewhat regularly.  She was kept in the hospital in the ICU and after 4 hours we went home for the night.  Before we left the doctor said, "it's good you brought her in, she wouldn't have survived the night."  

Joanne ended up in the hospital for a week.  We went and visited at least once a day. When she was finally released we brought her home and spent several hours caring for her.  One night Adam and I left and before we were at the end of her drive way she had called an ambulance.  She couldn't wait for us to get home and she couldn't come out and call for us.  Within minuets of returning home we saw the lights from the ambulance and ran back over.  Once again we were headed back to the hospital.  A few more hours in the hospital and this time we got to bring her back home.  

Joanne is a very independent women but she barely had the strength to get to the bathroom, and one time I even had to go there with her.  I spent time with visiting with her, taking her to the doctor for a follow up appointment and I made several trips to the pharmacy.  We took in multiple meals a day for a while and then gradually cut it back to just dinner.  

Miraculously today Joanne is off her oxygen.  She is still weak but she is getting around her house better.  She has actually really enjoyed my visits and told me to come visit anytime.  

The kids got to be included in helping a little by delivering meals and Avram helped me get Joanne home from the hospital.  

So we learned a new way to serve durning the holidays. 

3 comments:

  1. Joann is so lucky to have you for neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Joanne is so grateful to have you as neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really incredible how kind you have been to your neighbor. She is lucky to have you guys for you neighbors.

    ReplyDelete