Wednesday, February 11, 2026

He's my Cousin

 If you talk to a Polynesian, at some point in the conversation if another Polynesian is mentioned, the first one will say, "Oh yes, I know him.  He's my cousin."  

Well we might be cousins soon.......

Avram went with his Tongan room mate to Tonga this past month.  Avram loves the Polynesian culture and people.  The day before he left for Tonga he came by the house to pick up his Passport.  We started talking and he told me he was struggling because a girl that has been friend for the past 6 months has moved into a different place in his life/heart.  He was terrified to tell her that he wanted to date her because he was scared it would scare her and he would loose his best friend.  

I tried to give him some advice like asking her out on a date, without others around.  He said, "Mom we go out together alone all the time."  They even go to the temple regularly.  (Of course he is going to get feelings for her if they go to the temple together 😂) Anyway, it was heart breaking to see how deep his feelings were for this girl and his fear of what he would soon have to do.  

Naite (the girl) picked up Avram the next morning and they went to breakfast and then she took him to the airport. (What we didn't know is that Naite also had been struggling with the same feelings and didn't know how to tell Avram). Naite tried to bring up the conversation multiple times during breakfast but she couldn't go through with it.  She dropped Avram off and he said goodbye.  Suddenly she jumped and said, "wait!!!! I have to tell you something." Avram said, "What?"  Panicking she said, "I like you." Avram said, "I like you too."  She said, "No, I mean I like like you."  He said, "I like you too."  She tried one more times to tell him she liked him more than just a friend.  She then pushed him out, closed the door and sped away.  Naite thought she had for sure lost him.  

Avram called her during his lay over in LA and told her that he like her also and he wanted to date her.  Then he left for a week.  When he returned Naite picked him up and they went on a date to the temple. Avram formally asked her to be his girlfriend and that he wanted to date her with the intention of finding out if they should marry.  

I was dying while Avram was telling me the story.  This is his first girlfriend! The best part about this whole thing is that they have been really good friends for 6 months.  That means she has a pretty good idea of who Avram is.  They are in the same ward, they attend institute together and have began their relationship in a great way.  

Naite (Night-A) is the youngest child in her family, by many years. Her mother passed away when she was 17.  He father is turning 80, he is remarried and he live in St George.  This father not only is Tongan but he demands the respect and obedience that a Tongan father requires.  Apparently Naite has taken a boy to meet her father before and he said, "You are not marrying my daughter."  And that was the end of the relationship.  For whatever reason her dad must sense that Avram is a good guy because he told Naite multiple times to quit waiting on Avram and go tell him that she likes him.  He was the one that really pushed Naite into talking to Avram.  

Avram has since talked to him over FaceTime and after a few basic questions the father said, "When are you going to marry my daughter."  (Being blunt with Avram is best so even though that would scare most people it works for Avram) Avram said, "Well I wanted to meet you first and make sure you approved of me." The father said, "I know what kind of person someone is as soon as I see their eyes and talk to them.  You are a mission president type guy.  You can marry my daughter."  

Avram is on the fastest roller coaster of his life.  Things are moving quickly and he will be going to st George this weekend to not only meet her father but the rest of the family is flying in to celebrate his birthday and they are planning to drill Avram.  

Naite is a couple years older than Avram.  She served a mission in Washington State.  She was a basketball player.  She loves to play volleyball.  She currently works full time for the State of Utah working at a place that helps abused women.  We have met Naite twice and she is a lot of fun.  She will  bring some fun and life to our boring family.  

She and Ila have gotten to know each other, while Adam and I were in Panama.  Ila really likes her.  So now we could see big things happening soon.  💝



3 comments: