This weekend was the Homecoming Football game.
Sadly Avram is still struggling to get any playing time. I got so mad that I pulled aside one of the coaches as half time and reminded him that he hadn't played Avram once since the News report came out.
Saturday I was in contact with the head coach. He denied that playing this boy this boy had any impact on Avrams playing time.
He and I didn't have a very pleasant conversation after that. I let him know we wanted Avram moved to JV so that he can get some playing time and experience instead of standing on the sideline the entire game.
To be totally honest with myself and you. Yes, Avram has suffered from 1. this News report (racial injustice), 2. There are coaches that favor seniors and that has affected Avram playing time and 3. There are some communication issues between the coaches and Avram. With his problems in Autism it does take some different teaching methods to help Avram understand what he needs to do. I don't think the coaches have any clue how to communicate with Avram. I don't think they care enough to take the time to work with him.
This is a travesty and a failure on their part. I understand the predicament the coaches are in BUT when you have a boy like Avram with the physical abilities and talent that he has it is much more valuable than a boy that understands all the plays but doesn't have the ability to execute the play.
It is interesting because whenever a college recruiter visits the team they reach out to Avram because they see the talent that he posses and they know they can mold him into a great player.
Update since I wrote this:
I was very stressed on Monday when Avram went to practice. I was afraid that my disagreement with the coaches would be taken out on Avram. To my surprise the opposite happened. The head line coach came to Avram and apologized for not getting Avram more playing time. He talked to Avram about his plan moving forward and how he was going to work Avram into the offensive line each game. The head defensive coach also came to Avram during practice and told Avram that he has not received the playing time that he deserved. He explained the defense they had been running and let Avram know which defensive plays he would be playing in.
Avram came home super excited and happy.
Wednesday Avram came home and told me he would be playing the first half of the JV game on Thursday. His pride had been tested because he just couldn’t face the fact that he was being put on the JV team. I tried to give him a pep talk and tell How much fun he was going to have.
(Side note, WXHS was suppose to have one of the top football teams in the state this year. The coach ended up leaving the team which shocked everyone. WX has some great athletes and they have a JV and Sophomore team that throughout the years has been exceptional. That being said the varsity has yet to win a game this year, yet the JV and sophomore teams have won every game except one.)
Avram tried to put on his best face but I could see he was more then disappointed.
Apparently, when some JV players saw Avram in the locker room getting ready for the game they got super excited and said, “you are playing with us? We are going to kill this team now!”
I think that helped Avrams attitude a little. Then avram realized all the juniors that had been moved up this year to play varsity, like him, were also going to be playing the first half of the JV game with him. The head line coach is a guy that has worked with avram for a couple of years and they have a great relationship. Avram got to play both defense and offense the first half and it was more than obvious that Avram was in heaven. He was battling through the opposing line, getting sacks and having a blast. Both Avram and his Tongan friend that plays varsity with him were able to play the first half of the game together. When these two boys are standing next to each other you can help but laugh because they are both huge! I have to admit, I felt bad for the other team. Their biggest guy was shorter and wider then then Avram. They were trying to double team Avram but when they did that then they left his Tongan friend Vita with one guy and that wasn’t going to work.
When half time came WV JV was winning 21 to 0. At that point the 4 players that get in some varsity time were pulled from the game. Avram had found his love for football again. It is hard to work as hard as he does each week during practice only to end up standing on the side lines for the games. The boys went to the locker room and changed and then came out to cheer for their team the rest of the game. JV ended up winning 27 to 7.
Avram had so much fun playing that he can’t wait to play again next week. Sadly, JVs last game is next week but I’m so happy Avram got to play these couple of games.
I can’t help but laugh a little because one of the things I said to the coach when I got mad at him was, “From what I see you are going to be depending on Avram a lot next year but he is not getting in enough playing time. He needs to be moved down to JV so that he can get experience so he can be ready to take on the role you will need him for next year.” I guess the coach realized none of these juniors were getting the playing time they needed.
Anyway, Avram is happy so I am happy. We will see if Avram gets into the varsity game a little bit tonight but either way it is all good.
I am glad Avram had fun playing with the JV team. He really does need the playing time to be ready for next year.
ReplyDeleteI love this. Avram likes to play and he should be playing. I would have loved to have seen him. Dad said the JV team was a fun team to watch.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad he got some playing time on the JV team. Good for you for saying something about it to the coaches.
ReplyDelete