It is so strange having only one child in school. I only have to worry about Ilas classes and grades. Im sure to most parents school isn't a big stresser but for my children school isn't a strength so they tend to give up quite easily. Oven course with me and my life, "failure is not an option" so I guess we all can see why the Lord sent me the children I have. We balance each other well. LOL
Ila is in a private school this year. Adam and I felt that Ilas priorities were not in order so we are investing a lot of time and money into helping to surround her with people and influences that will encourage better priorities.
I have been extremely impressed with American Heritage. They prioritize God, Family and Country. Ila really struggled with prayers before and after each class, before lunch, hymn being sang in classes, etc. Fortunately it only took a couple of weeks and she realized all of this wasn't a big deal. She is making friends at the school and even though she won't admit it, she is really enjoying the school.
We are so thankful that Ila is adjusting socially but academically this is a challenge we have all had to take on. She has homework in every class, every night. She has to memorize scriptures every week, speeches (including Shakespeare) and the quality of work expected is above anything she has experienced in the past. Because of this challenging academic curriculum she tends to give up too easily so it has put a lot of pressure on me to know what is going on in each class, encourage and work with her, and to try to make it fun.
One of her recent assignments was a focus on the people who played a role in the coming about of the constitution. Ilas was assigned to play the character of Ester Reed. She had to write a 3 min speech, as Ester Reed. Then she had to memorize it and give it to the school.
Shockingly my little social butterfly is showing extremely symptoms of social anxiety. This was very difficult for her to do. Luckily I was there because we had a lot of tears but she did it in the end. After she memorized her speech she got to go to the nail salon to get her nails done.
The school asks each parent to volunteer at least 30 hours each year. I started my hours this month with working at a fair in the Avenues. Later this week I will spend the day at the school volunteering at the book fair.
Can't forget our latest school project. This house and lighthouse







Sounds like an amazing school.
ReplyDeleteIla looks so great in her Ester Reed custom. It is an adjustment to do that much home work.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome opportunity for Ila! It sounds like such a great school.
ReplyDelete