We have been bouncing around the idea of getting some chickens for several years. The economy has caused some stress and a little worry so we decided it was a good time to add a little more “food storage” preparation. We studied our the different types of chickens and then settled on 5 little ones.
They were so cute when we brought them home. The kids thought it was tons of fun for a few days.


I can’t get over how dumb chickens are. Several times I came home to find the chickens on top of a bowl. Stuck inside the bowl was another chick.

Two days after we got the chickens they were extremely noisy. I couldn’t figure out why the chicks were so noisy. I got online and studied a little about the chicks. There was some poop stuck to a couple of their back sides. I thought maybe they need to be cleaned. I went out to check on the chicks, at 11:30 pm. They were in bad shape. They had gotten in their water, they were all soaking wet, some of them were stumbling and falling over, and one was laying down and appeared to be almost dead. I called Adam in to help me. We bathed the chicks in some warm water, cleaned them up and then put them by a heater. Adam kept debating if he should just end the little chick that was suffering and didnt have the strength to stand up. We finally decided to just wrap it in a towel and leave it by the heater.
I can’t get over how dumb chickens are. Several times I came home to find the chickens on top of a bowl. Stuck inside the bowl was another chick.
Two days after we got the chickens they were extremely noisy. I couldn’t figure out why the chicks were so noisy. I got online and studied a little about the chicks. There was some poop stuck to a couple of their back sides. I thought maybe they need to be cleaned. I went out to check on the chicks, at 11:30 pm. They were in bad shape. They had gotten in their water, they were all soaking wet, some of them were stumbling and falling over, and one was laying down and appeared to be almost dead. I called Adam in to help me. We bathed the chicks in some warm water, cleaned them up and then put them by a heater. Adam kept debating if he should just end the little chick that was suffering and didnt have the strength to stand up. We finally decided to just wrap it in a towel and leave it by the heater.
I woke up early the next day to find out how many chicks were still alive. I didn’t want Ila to find any dead because she had already named them and treated them like her babies. Miraculously all the chicks were bouncing around and appeared to have recovered.
It’s too bad the chicks cant stay this cute.
Way to go on saving your chicks! I am getting a little tempted to get some chicks now. Just a little, I don't think I'll really go through with it.
ReplyDeleteI hope these chickens will really lay eggs for you.
ReplyDeleteCute! Good luck!
ReplyDelete