Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Honor is all Mine

I have been blessed to be able to pick up the church family history program quickly.  Many people in my ward that have been working on family history a lot longer then me and still struggle with different parts of the program/ research.  I started going to our ward family history class a couple of years ago to learn family history.  Now I spend most of the class time helping others learn how to do family history.

Yesterday I went to class and I saw the teacher trying to help a couple of different people.  I decided to jump in and just take over helping one of the people he was working with.  The man I was able to serve was Patriarch Lloyd Hicken.  As you already know he was the stake Patriarch for many years.  He is a retired Doctor.  He was a fighter pilot in World War 2.  He was the Bishop of our ward when they built our ward building (which he helped build with his own hands) and he will be turning 100 years old in 3 weeks.

Patriarch Hicken doesn't know how to work computers but he loves family history work.  The name of his wife, who passed away a couple of years ago, is Alice Richards Cannon Hicken.  If you know anything about church history you know the name Cannon and Richards.  Because they come from such a strong pioneer heritage it is very difficult to find work to be done in their family.

Yesterday we had an outstanding day!  We were able to find an individual that needed all his work done and we found 5 or 6 sealing that needed to be completed.  We were both so excited about the success we had.

As I work with Patriarch Hicken, which I have done a couple of times, I feel like it is such an honor to be able to work on his family line and to work with him.  It is so humbling to be in the presence of someone who has lived such a valiant life.  The spirit that he carries reminds me of the feeling I had when I was with Grandpa Larsen.

Anyway, I know I am just rambling but it is this kind of service that I can honestly say I am blessed so much more than I can give.

5 comments:

  1. What a great talent and so blessed to be able to share it. I get on there and get so confused at times. You need to come and help me!! Maybe, I just need to take a class?
    That's so cool you have an apostle in your ward now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! You definitely have a gift for finding names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed by people that at 100 are still trying to do the Lords work. He could easily throw up his hands and say it is done as well as I can. I think you are extra blessed in this work because you have a little soldier on the other side giving you a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I didn't know about this man, but I've got to be related to him somehow. There aren't that many Hicken's in the world. I've sure we've got a common ancestor. Thank you for helping him with his family history work and vicariously helping with mine!

    ReplyDelete