Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Parenting Pay off moments

There are so many heart breaking stories about people, kids, families loosing their way.  I think I sometimes take for granted the tender moments, accomplishments and little blessings that pass by.  
Avram is becoming such and amazing young man and a great teenager.  Obviously we have our moments.  I feel like the Lord has blessed me so much to give me such a great young man that tries to always do what is right.  
Nothing comes easy for Avram.  He has to work hard to accomplish so many of the things that come easy for most people but he doesn't know a different life or a different way so he battles through so many challenges.  His grades are doing well, not perfect, but always improving.  Socially he makes little steps and the young men in our ward are great with him.  I actually pulled aside a handful of young men in church a few weeks back and told them how thankful I was that they have been so good to Avram.  A mother later talked to me and told me how much that young man appreciated my comments and he really does enjoy being with him.  
Avram is taking advice and interaction from Adam in basketball (I know this sounds weird to write but with Avrams challenges it is really hard to take critiquing) Avram has improved so much in basketball this year and he is by far the superstar of the JV team.  Even more than being the superstar he is great at helping his team mates succeed.  
One of the most touching moments in Adams life happened a few weeks ago.  As you know Avram attends a school for kids with Autism.  Avram if extremely high functioning and he has improved every year.  Sadly not all kids are that fortunate.  Because every boy on Avrams team has Autism they are a horrible basketball team!  They loose every game.  There are some boys that can't dribble the ball, others that can't shoot, some can't run, and most never really understand the rules.  But if they have a desire to play, they are on the team.  Because of the skill level on Avrams team, it could be really hard to pass the ball because he really can't depend on any help.  This year Avram has done a fantastic job at shooting, passing, defense, and most importantly helping his team mates.  
Anyway, back to Adams touching moment.  One day Adam walked into Avrams school to watch a basketball game.  One boy that has severe Autism walked up to Adam (this boy has been on Avrams team for the last 3 years but because of his Autism he really doesn't have the coordination to be able to play sports)  The boy, Ben, said "Are you Avrams Dad?"  Adam said, "yes." Ben continued, "Avrams says I am a really good basketball player!"  (now as a side note, you would expect any child to say that to a boy like Ben, but a child with Autism rarely thinks of others feelings and they are often painfully honest.  Much like a 2 year old child.)  When Adam realized that Avram had thought of Bens feelings and told him that he was good tears began to fill Adams eyes.  He could see how happy Ben was because the best player on the team had told him that he was good.  Ben ran off and Adam pulled Avram aside.  Adam began to tell Avram how proud he was that he had complimented Ben.  Avram looked at Adam and said, "it no big deal Dad, you don't have to cry about it."  
Lastly I wanted to share that Avram was just called to be the 2nd counselor in his teacher quorum.  Avram is one of the youngest in the class.  He is taking his calling very seriously and he is being very active and involved in young mens.
Im so thankful for Avram and the growth he has made and the choices he is making.

3 comments:

  1. You know what I was thinking while I read this. Avram was sooo hard as a little boy that you are now being rewarded with a very sweet great teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! Parenting payoffs for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for Avrum! It was so sweet to read about how much Ben appreciated his words. Avrum is a good boy and I am proud of him too.

    ReplyDelete