Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Emergency drill



This is an email I received from Ilas 1st grade teacher 

"Dear Parents,

In our faculty meeting this week, we talked about the upcoming lockdown drills that we will be having at the school...There will be two different drills. One is a soft lockdown drill and one is a hard lock down drill. For the hard lockdown drill, we will be closing and locking the door, shutting the blinds, turning off the lights, and quietly hiding in the classroom. For the soft lockdown drill, we will be closing and locking our door, and everyone will need to stay in the classroom. However, we will continue our classroom routine during the study lockdown drill. We practiced this a little today so that we will be ready for the drill. I did not discuss with them the reason for the drill. However, I will only be telling students that the reason for the drills is so that we know what to do if there is ever a danger in or around our school. I know this can be a little scary for some kids!..."
I am so sad that this is a worry for our teachers and children. I'm so thankful for the strength of our children to go out and face this world everyday.

5 comments:

  1. Our kids do these drills too. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they never have to use this drill. When I was in school we practiced bomb drills because of the Cold War with Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After what happened at your old HS today, it's unfortunately a necessity. So sad. Children's fears are so much worse than adults's because they can't understand people hurting other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our schools do these drills too. It's sad, but necessary just in case something happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I kids didn't have to worry about these things...

    ReplyDelete