While working outside one morning, I had the dogs with me. This was a typical thing the dogs and I did together. We live on a super busy street but we train our dogs to not run in the street. There has been times when Buddy has got out of the back yard and he will just lay on the front porch and wait for us to let him in or get home. Rebel is not so reliable. If she gets out to the back yard and no one is out side then she likes to wander the neighborhood.
There was a lady walking her dog on the opposite side of the street. This didn’t worry me, my dogs are well trained and they don’t run, especially when Im outside with them. Since Rebel isn’t 100% reliable I stopped working, walked over, and made sure Rebel didn’t get anxious. I was actually hold the water hose and I squirted Rebel at one point because she was acting too interested in the dog across the street.
Suddenly Buddy jumped up and bolted for the road. I called for him, he always listens, but he didn’t stop and his timing was horrible. An suv happened to be driving down the road the same time he ran. Buddy was hit by the car. He couldn’t move and he is over 100 pounds. Thankfully a young man in my ward happened to drive by just minutes after Buddy was hit. The kid is 21 and exercises a lot so when he pulled up I said, “Conor, is there anyway you can help me?” In the mean time, Ila is a little hysterical and Rebel is barking and out of control.
Conor and I loaded Buddy in the back of Conors truck and we took off to a Vet office a couple blocks away from my house. I ran in the office, composed, but as soon as I started talking (Which I was asking them if they could put Buddy down) and the emotions spilled out. The Doctor came out to the truck but it was too late. Buddy had passed away. In some ways Im thankful Buddy passed away before we arrived because it would have been so hard to actually pull the trigger and say good bye.
The next several days I just tried to stay busy because as soon as I stopped I started thinking about Buddy and the tears flowed.
Ila struggled for a day. Briggs had a hard time for a few days. Adam really had a hard time dealing with Buddy’s death.
Rebel also struggled for a few days. We actually pulled up a home video of Buddy just the other day and Rebel heard him and came running. When she didn’t see him she started crying.
The most surprising person was Avram. When we told Avram that Buddy had passed away he said, “My best friend died….Well its ok, I teach people every day about eternal families.”



It's so hard to lose a dog. How hard for you to witness when he got hit.
ReplyDeleteThat was a hard thing to go through. You won't ever be able to replace Buddy. He is a one of a kind.
ReplyDeleteBuddy was such a good dog. He will definitely be missed.
ReplyDeleteI remember how hard it was when we lost Dawg. I can't imagine how hard that was for you all. Buddy was a good dog. I'm so sorry. Avram's response made me tear up- that's so sweet.
ReplyDelete