Back in December when we went to Puerto Rico our family spent several hours photographing headstones in some cemeteries. We (me) decided that we needed to take advantage of the opportunity to be in puerto rico to take the pictures so that we could use them for the boys eagle scout projects. We had some great experiences while photographing the cemeteries and we were able to talk with many people that were curious about what we were doing.
After returning home from our vacation I was thinking about all the work that needed to be done in order to get all the cemeteries photographed in Puerto Rico. While I was thinking about this I was reminded of the head stones that I saw while tracking in my mission that were just on little plots on peoples personal property. I thought about the information that will be lost if those graves are not documented in some way and also how those places will every be found.
It hit me that missionaries that are out walking the streets may be the only people that may ever take advantage of the opportunity to document those hidden headstones.
I decided to write a letter to the church missionary department and family history department explaining my idea/concern about those plots.
I really didn't think much of the letters I sent off after they were gone because the pressure was off of me and I had done my part (which I had bee prompted to do). A couple of months passed and I was contacted by a man from the family history department who told me that he was meeting with a few people that were part of a group that worked together to think of ideas to help further the work of family history and missionary work combining. He asked me if I would mind coming to their meeting to share with them more about my ideas and experiences.
I was floor with the invitation but I was happy to share whatever I could to help.
I personally have had a very remarkable experiences in working with missionary work and family history. When I was a full time missionary in Puerto Rico I met a 70 year old man named John who was willing to listen to the missionary discussions. John was divorced and living with his 90 year old mother. (Not the ideal candidate for missionary discussions for sister missionaries)
Well John accepted the gospel and was baptized. About 6 weeks after his baptism the Dominican Republic Temple was dedicated and they had it broadcast in Puerto Rico so we were able to take John to the dedication. 10 days after the dedication John went to Florida to visit his daughter. This was perfect opportunity for John to go to the temple so I made sure he got a temple recommend before leaving PR. In Florida John was able to be baptized for his father who had passed away. The experience he had there was so significant that he came back to PR and shared it with his mother who at the age of 91 was baptized. I lost track of John after my mission but a few months ago I was curious to see if I could find him. I went into family search to see what info I could find on him or his mother (Angela). Both of them have passed away but I looked at their ordinances. When Angela was 95, she and John went to the Dominican Republic Temple and received their inititories and endowments. They were also sealed together as a family and Angela and her husband were sealed together.
I can't begin to express my joy and feelings about seeing that they remained faithful and had made covenants in the temple.
Anyway, I went to the meeting today and shared my personal experiences with missionary work and family history. I also presented some ideas and my opinion. The group asked me many questions including specifics about what I felt needed to be done to help train the missionaries. I spent an hour with this group and I can't wait to see how they are able to implement these ideas.
It has been so humbling to be involved in this part of the processes as they implement so new ideas to further the Lords work.
I laugh to think about how much the boys eagle project influenced all of this.
Another very special story. You definitely live by the guidance of the Spirit. Think of how many lives may be blessed by following this simple prompting. Bless you!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you got this included in your blog.
ReplyDeleteThat is so stinkin cool! I am so proud of you for being brave enough to contact the church and share your idea.
ReplyDelete