This past week Avram went to EFY for the first time. I found out that kids can go to EFY when their 13 if their birthday is before Sept 30 so he was barely able to squeeze in.
Everyone told Avram how much fun he was going to have so he went with a really good attitude. I was stressing out. I had found a slot available two weeks ago for EFY so we signed him up. He went without any friends.
When it was the final drop off I saw panic go through Avram when he realized that this was the end and I wasn't going with him but he was brave and didn't look back.
I almost started crying as I watched him walking away into the unknown. Just 10 years ago this boy couldn't handle any change in his routine and he really couldn't handle dealing with the unknown.
Avram called us almost every evening during his free time to tell us all about the things he had learned. Adam and I couldn't believe the excitement in his voice. He said one of his favorite teachers was Brother Dunn.
Avram called one night and told us about a dance they had. He said, "Our councilors told us the boys job is to ask girls to dance and the girls job is to say 'yes' when we ask. When the first slow song started I was so thirst! I went and drank four big cups of water. Then when the next slow song came on I started feeling like I was going black out. I was trying so hard not to pass out and then I went and asked a girl to dance."
Adam and I laughed until tears started coming out of our eyes as we listened to Avrams description of the dance.
Avram was so excited to tell us all the things he learned. He said, "I learned how to read the scriptures so that they make sense."
I was able to get tickets to the MTC open house so yesterday we all went together to the MTC. It was such an amazing experience being in the MTC and telling the kids all about our experiences there. The new buildings are amazing! My boys enjoyed the tour.
Once the tour ended we were shuttled back to the parking lot by the foot ball stadium. Avram saw a dinosaur museum in the parking lot so we really didn't have a choice, we had to go check out the museum. Avram loved the museum and the other kids endured it.
This is so amazing, hearing of Avram's independence and growth. That must have been so hard letting him go and yet he did so well. What a blessing. You and Adam have been the best parents Avram could have had.
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful that you got him into EFY. I have a testimony of that program and how much impact that week can have on a young person.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is just bursting for Avram! I am so happy that he had a good experience at EFY. I can't wait to hear how it goes next year!
ReplyDelete