Sunday, February 5, 2017

chocolate cake

Let me tell you about the impact this chocolate cake had on people today.
Im sure many of you are familiar with the famous Costco Chocolate Cake. Yummy!!!

Today I was teaching Elders Quorum (yes, this is Lisa and yes, I said Elders Quorum).  I have been asked to teach several lessons lately about family history work.  The Elders Quorum asked me to come in and teach today.
Today was fast sunday.  The last 10 mins. of class I pulled out this Chocolate Cake.  I took off the lid and walked around the class room so everyone could get a good smell of this delicious cake.  You should have seen these guys drooling over the cake.  I then pulled out a knife and spatula and I said, "Who brought the plates and forks?"  Of course no one had the forks and plates because no one knew this was coming.  I said, "Im ready to give you each a piece of cake, you just need to bring me your plate."  In desperation many of the men were willing to eat the cake without a plate.  I then reminded them about the comparison many people have used about sharing the gospel.  I told them, "Im sure you have heard the comparison that the gospel is having something so amazing you want to share it, like a cake.  In the spirit world missionaries are going around sharing the gospel or "cake" with people BUT even though the people have accepted/ want to accept the gospel but they don't have the covenants they need (plate and fork) so that they can actually have the gospel as part of their lives. " I then shared a quote from Brigham Young about how our ancestors have been waiting for this time and for us so that their work could be completed.
I couldn't help but laugh as I was explaining this object lesson.  You should have seen the face of the men in this class.  I told them, "You have only been fasting for a few hours and think how much you want this cake.  Imagine your ancestors that have been waiting hundreds/ thousands of years for their ordinances to be complete."  
To top of the object lesson I told them I really wasn't going to give them cake but next time they ate cake they should remember their ancestors.
After church I was telling a couple of friends about my object lesson.  One of my friends is my visiting teaching companion who has removed her garments and has not been to the temple in years.  He testimony is shaky.  She listened to the object lesson and then said, "All my family history is done."  I told her I was sure we could find work that needed to be done.
Well long story short, I went to her house this afternoon and within and hour we had 165 ordinance in her temple folder that need to be done.  This was the first time in years that I have seen her actually consider the thought of returning to the temple.

I love chocolate cake!!!

7 comments:

  1. How do you find all these names??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lesson that will be remembered for a long time. You were inspires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great object lesson. Hope she returns to the temple because of your lesson and help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little things post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! Your friend's parents have probably been praying for you to enter their daughter's life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a great teacher, like your mom. You're even a greater neighbor and I hope this good sister decides she wants the blessings of the temple in her life again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice object lesson. I hope your VT partner takes advantage of all those ordinances now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete