Sunday, October 16, 2016

Hope is never gone

The secretary in my primary presidency has a niece that was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer exactly one year ago.  It is a very rare form of cancer and after a year of chemo little 5 year old Arli is y technically cancer free.  Unfortunately the doctors were never able to find a location for where the cancer began so Arli is still on chemo.  The family is struggling financially so some family and friends put together a carnival and a concert.  All the proceeds went toward helping the family.
My secretary, Lori, who is a single sister without children invested countless hours into preparing special baskets for auction.
My heart breaks for this family and the trials they have experienced this past year.  I was able to make several holiday crafts, little girl skirt, table runners, and wreaths to donate to the fund raiser.  As I was sewing I couldn't work fast enough.  I had so little time but there was so much I wanted to do.  I bought tickets to the concert and we were also able to win a basket with a month at mathasium.
This whole thing is leading to one part of the concert.  At the end of the program the mother of Arli got up and thanked everyone.  Arli was carried on stage by her grandpa.  She was dressed in a cute navy blue princess dress and she had a mermaid tail blanket (just like one Ila has been begging for). While the mother was talking she described some of the pain she had suffered this past year.  She talked about a dispare and pain that she carried.  No one could see the sorrow that was inside.
As I listened to her describe the pain, similar feelings returned that I felt after loosing Gabe.  It made me realize that each of our trials are individualized for us and when all hope is lost we have the choice to turn to God or turn to the world.
I am thankful for the understanding I have of the despair and loneliness but I am more thankful for the peace that can replace those feeling through the atonement.

The very best part of the whole day was this:
My kids were not too excited about going to the concert.  They were all complaining and had to be drug out the door.  On the way to the concert I explained why we were going.  Avram said, "Mom, I wish you would have told me that earlier.  I would have had a better attitude about going."

4 comments:

  1. We all seem to have a better attitude when we know that what we are doing makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a special heart, Lisa. I am so grateful to be related to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad. How nice of you to step in and talk to her and help out. It's amazing how grief is grief no matter how you get there.

    ReplyDelete