Sunday, March 17, 2024

Happiness vs Joy

One of Avrams closest friends came by last week.  He said he had something important to tell us.  In the stage of life these boys are in you never quite know what to expect when they say they have news to share.  We have had our boys friends stop by to tell us they are going in the air force, going to school, playing football for a college, dropping out of school, moving in with a girl friend, going on a mission, with drawing their mission paper work, got a girl friend pregnant, etc,  
So Adam and I just hold our breath and hope we react in the most appropriate way so these boys know we love them no matter what.  Anyway, AJ came by.  AJ is a 6 ft 3 samoan.  He is like a big teddy bear.  He is laid back easy going, loves his video games,  and really didn't have desire to do much other then work part time at a restaurant and play his video games.  When he began to tell us his news I braced myself.  He hesitantly said, "I have decided to go on a mission."  This was welcome news!!! 

AJ is holding Stefans baby


The best part was what he said as he told us how he came to this decision.
He said:
It's been a long time since my family and I have been to church.  We probably only went twice last year.  My uncle was called to be the bishop in our ward (they attend a samoan ward). Since my uncle was bishop we had to go so we could support him.  As I attended church I kept having a nagging feeling that I needed to go on a mission.  When I would play my video games I started to get bored and I thought I need to be somewhere else.  I finally realized I needed to go on a mission but I was dreading what I needed to do to go through the repentance processes and to prepare for a mission.  One day my Uncle called me into the bishop office to talk about the receiving the Melchizedek priesthood.  At first I thought I would just go in and tell him everything was fine and get past everything but right before I went in the office it hit me the importance of the priesthood and that this was a big step and I couldn't take it lightly.  I was super embarrassed to talk to my uncle but I ended up telling him everything.  He was amazing about everything and helped me start the repentance process.  I told him I thought I needed to start preparing for a mission too.  As soon as I made that decision my life changed.  I was so happy!  Actually it was more than happy it was like I was joyful.  It was like I had something over my eyes and it was lifted and I could see life better.  

It was amazing seeing the light and joy from him as he described the happiness he was feeling.  Adam and I had to fight back the tears as we listened to him tell us his personal testimony of his desire to serve the Lord.  
A week passed and we were talking to Avram on the phone.  While we were talking to him Avram received a message from AJ (at this point Avram didn't know AJ was planning to go on a mission). AJ said, "Hey Avram, there use to be 6 of us here, then 2 went on missions and 4 of us remained.  But I wanted to tell you that it will soon be 3 of us on missions and 3 at home.  I have decided to serve a mission."  Avram was shocked by this news.  We laughed and cried a little as we watched Avram get excited for AJ.  AJ texted me right after he messaged Avram and said, "next time you talk to Avram can I come over and talk to him."  I told AJ we were on the phone with him now and to come over.  
We handed the phone to AJ and we sat and listened to him tell Avram about his decision to serve a mission.  And then we listened to Avram teach and testify for AJ about the importance of missionary work.  As the conversation went on AJ told Avram about some of the friends that were out on missions and some of the things he knew they were doing.  Avram swiftly corrected AJ and taught him the importance of EXACT OBEDIENCE.  Avram testified of the lessons he had learned on his mission and the importance of treating the two years as a priceless time to give to the Lord.  
The two boys talked for hours about mission work and AJ realized he wanted to be a missionary like Avram.  
Adam and I just listened in shock and awe as we heard Avram teach and testify to AJ.  It was by far one of the best moments if not the best moment we have had as parents.  We cried and laughed as the boys talked about mission work and life.  
As the boys wrapped up their conversation Avram said, "I want to share my testimony with you.  There is a document called the living Christ.  Study it.  I want to testify to you that your decision to go on a mission is the right decision.  I don't care how others look at you or how you see yourself, I promise you that the Savior sees you for who you are.  The biggest and most important thing I have learned on my mission is my testimony of Jesus Christ and who he is.  He walked the roads of Palestine healing the sick and causing the blind to see.  His life is an example and gift that he has given to us.  His atonement is the most beautiful gift he has given to us.  I never realized how amazing the atonement is until I got on my mission.  He was a king of king and lord of lords and he descended from his thrown on high to be born in a manger in such a humble place.  He established his church the Church of Jesus Christ.  A lot of people don't realize that over time the apostles were killed off and his church, his priesthood was lost until the boy Joseph knelt down in prayer.  He said in his own words, "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head.  I saw the Father and the Son. "  They appeared to the boy Joseph ushering the long promised dispensation of times restoring the Church of Jesus Christ on this earth.  I know this happened.  I wasn't there when the Savior suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane and bled from every pour.  I wasn't there in the sacred grove where Joseph Saw the Father and the Son.  But I know these things happened.  I know that missionary work is the most important work we can do.  I know that as you strive to be obedient and as you strive to seek for righteousness the Lord will bless you and your family immensely. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen."

I think this whole experience was a tender mercy for us right now.  Especially Avram, when he first called today it was obvious he is loosing momentum.   He is working harder then he ever, he is following the rules to the very best of his ability, he is fasting an praying, and yet he is struggling to stay upbeat with a companion that doesn't want to be on a mission and an area that has been damaged due to disobedient missionaries.  

2 comments:

  1. Reading your post made me cry. I am so happy for AJ and for the effort he is making to follow the prompting he has received. It will change his life forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great pay day for a parent. There is nothing that brings greater joy than hearing your children testify of what you know is true. I hope AJ will listen to what Avram has taught him. If he does he will be a great missionary.

    ReplyDelete