Saturday, April 11, 2020

Where to go from here


Years from now if someone reads the past entry and then this entry it will be hard to realize how much the world has changed in a month.
The kids have been out of school for 3 weeks and doing their classes online. 
I was awakened a couple of weeks ago by an earthquake shaking our home.  For days we felt the after shocks of that quake. 
And to top it off we have a plaque sweeping the world, corona virus, and killing thousands of people.  
The economy went from one of the best times in history and dropped to one of the worst. Thousands are out of work and thousands more are contracting this deadly illness.  
Even though we have been very careful and I have kept my kids quarantined in the house in hopes that we could avoid any illness, accident or virus Adam had a massive attack Saturday evening.  He was up all night Saturday night in pain and throwing up.  Sunday Adam spent the day in bed.  He appeared to be doing better but he didn't eat anything all day.  Monday morning he went to get a project started for work and then he decided to swing by the house and have a little oatmeal because he was feeling weak and hungry.  He ate the oatmeal and shortly afterward he was doubled over in pain.  He said, "I think I need to go to the hospital."
Well in hope of avoiding the hospital I took him to the insta care.  After 45 mins there they told us they couldn't help him and sent him to the hospital.  As we walked through the emergency room doors Adam fell down and couldn't make it another step.  A wheel chair was brought out.  Luckily there wasn't anyone in the waiting room and they took us back to a room quickly.  The got an IV started and began running tests and giving him pain medication.  He was in so much pain.  It didn't take long before he was admitted to the hospital and we were told he would need his Gallbladder removed.  His bilirubin numbers were sky rocketing and his pancreas numbers were at 4000 (they should be at 70.  The following day the doctor said she still couldn't perform surgery because his numbers were still too high.  Now at this point Adam had eaten a bowl of oatmeal Monday morning but other than that he really hadn't eaten since Saturday.
Surgery finally happened on Wednesday.  They removed his gallbladder and then had to perform an ERCP to clean the stones and sludge out of his system.  Between the two procedures he was in surgery for 5 hours.
Due to the Corona virus there are no visitors allowed in the hospital.  Following surgery they allowed me to come by for one hour.  After 3 days in the hospital Adam began to cry when he saw me waiting in his room.  He really struggled coming out of the anesthesia and I couldn't stay long.  Eventually the nurse came in and told me I had to leave.  It just killed Adam being left alone again.  The next couple of days were horrible for Adam.  He wasn't improving, he was in pain, and he was home sick.  Good Friday came.
During conference President Nielson asked us to have a world wide fast on Good Friday in order to unite in prayer for our world economy, the fight of the corona virus and for those suffering.  At this point Adam had been in the hospital for 5 days.  Adam was added to many peoples fasting and prayers.
Friday night we instantly saw the miracle of fasting and prayer.  Adam was improving drastically.  Friday night he was finally able to drink water again.  By Saturday he was doing so well that he had some malt o meal for breakfast.



Today is Saturday, it just so happens to be Adams birthday.  Tomorrow is Easter.  This is such a difficult weekend to be alone in the hospital.  This afternoon I decided to go to the hospital and beg them to let me in to give Adam a hug and wish him a happy birthday.  At first they told me know but I continued to beg them.  I told them I have been quarantined all week, I haven't been to the store, I was just showered and I had clean clothes on.  The front desk realized I was going to  keep after it so they called the head nurse on Adams floor.  She agreed to let me come up for a few minutes.
I walked into Adams room and he just cried.  There were a couple of nurses in his room and they both stepped out to give us a few minutes.  Tears just ran down his cheeks (and of course then I started crying).  Adam said this is the greatest birthday present ever.  It broke my heart to see how lonely he was.
Some people need the love and support of family in order to heal.  It's so sad to think of all the people that are suffering and dying in the hospitals all alone.


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrible time to have to go to the hospital, and not be allowed visitors. I'm so sorry this happened, made me cry reading this. I'm glad you got to visit him. I'm glad he's gotten better and is going home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making me tear up just reading about your reunion on his birthday. I am so glad that he is able to come home today! I hope you guys stay healthy and well through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even want to think what would have happened to Adam is we didn't live in this day and age. We saw a miracle this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,my! As most know, I've pretty much given up on reading or writing blogs, but today I just decided to skim through the blogs some of the family are still writing. I'm so glad I'm reading this, now that Adam is out of the danger zone. I'm sending you my love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh, that was such a sad post!! I'm SO happy Adam is doing better. That's got to be hard being all alone in such circumstances. Its such a crazy time right now, but I do know we can all learn something from all of this. Happy your together again!!

    ReplyDelete